Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bun

Given my mediocre experience with Bao 111, I was eager to see if I could have a better Vietnamese experience with Bao 111 founders Michael Bao Huynh and his wife Thao Nguyen at their newest venture, Bun, in Soho. We trotted over for lunch on Tuesday around 1 p.m. and it was quite empty. The space is pretty and modern and displayed the open kitchen to lovely effect.

We ordered the shrimp and Berkshire pork summer roll ($6), which is really too small for sharing (I was desirous of BOTH diminutive rolls). Then I ordered Pho Ga ($11), in a ginger and anise broth and Axel F. went for the Bun Fish ($11). The Pho was the winner - the broth flavorful, but light, and with a squirt from the lime wedge and a dollop of chili sauce it was one tasty meal. It's a success - simple and to the point, as good food should be!

Where: 143 Grand St., nr. Lafayette St.; 212-431-7999

No comments: