Monday, September 24, 2007

Eating on the UWS

I have been remiss in the past 10 days and have provided you nothing to feast on, but don't worry, I have still been eating. For some imprecise reason I have been eating a lot in my neighborhood, hence the good, the bad and the ugly below.

Kefi

I loved Onera, I love Anthos, I love Kefi. Chef Michael Psilakis as I wrote once in a Metro review is the George Harrison of cooking. It's a charming, delicious, and affordable family-style Greek cafe. Crisp Greek white wines are around $6/glass; meze are under $10 and entrees around $15. Recommended: Cuttlefish Stuffed With Spinach & Manouri ($8.95) and Flat pasta, Pulled Braised rabbit, Graviera Cheese ($10.95)

Where: 222 W. 79th St., 212-873-0200

Hudson River Cafe

It's Buppie central on this sleek and charming patio cafe and restaurant under the bridge with amazing views of early 20th century riveting. While the food is ok, the place is definitely more about the ambience and cocktails ($10). The food advertised as "local" didn't seem all that local to me (horseradish crusted salmon and tostones?) - the portions were ginormous, and all suffered from a little too much of everything (sauce, salt, fat, etc...) But the package - and live jazz on Sundays and Wednesdays - all together makes this a great destination place.

Where: 697 W. 133rd St., 212-491-9111


Wine & Roses


I'm just going to say it: the Upper West Side is filled with annoying d-bags and the women who chase after them. And so when a wine bar opens up (this is one of several new ones), they all come running in their effort to be "classy" for their $18 glasses of Barolo while listening to "Crazy" at a too-loud -to-talk volume and zoning out to a flatscreen tv. This is "Time Out" sports bar in a different disguise. In sum: too many cougars; cheesy people; overpriced wine. Can someone please get it right up here?

Where: 286 Columbus Ave., 212-579-9463

No comments: