Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Grom

There is a vicious frozen yogurt craze happening on the streets on Manhattan. No fewer than three new, equally tempting fro-yo chains have opened up in the past year (Yogurberry, Pinkberry and Yolato). So where does that leave the real stuff - cream and eggs and all the rest? For starters, well over the $6/scoop mark.

Safely nestled among the ruling classes with glasses on the Upper West Side is the one-off Grom gelateria. They serve gelato, sorbet and granitas. They are from Italy. It is the Gucci of ice cream. Call in the rollers of big cigars! On Sunday, after a particularly harrowing screening of The Bourne Ultimatum (with Demi and Ashton seated just feet away), we spotted the line up. Twenty deep at 10:27 p.m. We waited, we scooped and we licked. Eh.

I have a lot of issues with Grom

1)It's on a dorky stretch of Broadway, bolstered only by the fact that if you are eating at Big Nick's or drinking at Yogi's, your kind is not welcome at Grom.

2)I don't like paying this much above 14th Street.

3)They are a wee-bit self-congratulating in their literature about how they are Slow Food medal winners, only use cage-free organic eggs, sugar milled by young virgins, etc. …

4)It's a creamy mess. If I wanted a milkshake I would go to a diner, if I wanted sugar I would eat a pixie-stick. It is, I say, too much of a good thing. I like to struggle a little to find the beauty of my frozen treats.

5)Save your money. Buy a Sponge Bob ice cream pop.

Where: 2165 Broadway, 646-290-7233

No comments: