Sunday, April 20, 2008

Maccu or Fava Bean Puree



What says recession more than dried beans? Exactly. In the spirit of economizing, I decided to venture more deeply into the dried legume department. Fava had come across my radar recently and so I bought a 10 oz. bag for about $4 at Whole Foods. I used this recipe from Cucina de Calabria by Mary Anabile Palmer as my guideline, but I made several major mistakes: I shelled the beans after cooking, not before, which was messy; I also sautéed the onion in olive oil and added to the cooked, shelled beans. I used sea salt with rosemary, and added a little water while pureeing. However, the result is delicious.

Crostini (or crackers)
10 ounces dried fava beans
1/2 small onion
2 tablespoons pecorino or Parmesean cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil (I used more like 3-4 tbsp.)
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
freshly ground pepper and sea salt

Soak the beans overnight. Drain and slip off the outer skins.

Put the beans and onion in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours or until beans are soft. Put in a food processor and pulse until beans are completely pureed. Add cheese, olive oil, fennel seeds and pepper. Mix well and serve on crostini.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.